This Powerpoint resource (consisting of 70 interactive slides plus printables) builds on pupils' familiarity with pattern using sequence patterns as a starting point for generalization.
As letters are introduced, when finding general rules for a growing pattern, they will have many possible values thus emphasising the use of letters as variables.
A range of models and images, interactive activities and games are utilised to encourage reasoning and develop understanding. Click on the thumbnails above for menus.
Games are also included to consolidate ideas and promote discussion by justifying choices. Instructions and demonstration slides are provided, as well as printable resources, so that the games can be played as a whole class or within groups.
Problems are used to allow the application of generalising in a range of situations.
- Visual sequences are created according to a given rule.
- Sequences with a constant difference are linked to multiple sequences and graphed to show relationships.
- Pupils continue a range of sequences using cubes or square paper while using tables to explore emerging patterns.
- Printables and answers are included to minimise preparation time.
- Each slide has accompanying notes to assist teachers when working on the development of concepts with pupils.
Students and newly qualified teachers are eligible for a student discount of 50% on all resources.
Just contact us below and leave your email address so that we can send you your discount code.